UPDATE! Doll Repair & Restoration SEMINARS
Seminars to learn doll repair are scheduled on an as-needed basis, so if you are interested in learning doll repair and restoration as a hobby or a new job opportunity, let’s talk! Seminars are scheduled on an as-needed basis within the agreed dates of the students who are wishing to take a seminar. Learn doll repair here in Idaho near Boise. Seminars are limited to 3 students.
NEW Doll Seminars!!! Due to popular request, additional 2 day mini to learn doll repair & restoration seminars are in development. The 2 day Vinyl & Hard Plastic Doll Seminar will cover stringing, maintenance, hair care, mold issues, repainting and other information for the doll collector. For antique collectors who have wondered what to do with that china doll head with no body or the china doll body needs some attention, the 2 day hands-on China Doll Fabrication Seminar covers historical data on china dolls, body fabrication, and creating a complete outfit for their doll. The participant may bring their own doll head or Antique Child has many to select from. All materials for the china doll body and wardrobe are provided.
Why have your own business? In today’s job market many people are creating their own jobs and choosing to work at home. Aside from the tax benefits of having an in-home office and work space, the commute down the hall sure makes a difference on the gas bill. Wardrobe needs are few and eating out is a matter of opening the frig. With expanded technology, supplies, postage and banking can be done online. The benefits of being able to work your work schedule around your other life is invaluable and the only supervisor might be the one curled up at your feet needing an occasional food dish filled or potty break outside. Lastly,there is a lot of satisfaction in being independent to make choices.
There is a need learn doll repair for quality doll repair and restoration experts with tons of dolls out there that are treasures to someone and will need repair at some time or other. Most of my customers are just regular people, not collectors, who have a family doll (or 2) they want repaired or restored to pass on. The choice of whether to specialize in a certain doll is always an option. The opportunities are there, it is just a matter of deciding how much or how limited you would like to be. The seminar is not designed to teach you everything about every doll, but rather to give you a foundation. The support I offer after the seminar is to help you with skills you were not exposed to during the seminar.
What is the advantage of taking instruction with Antique Child Doll Restoration?
- Most instructors have had no training in teaching and do not understand spiral curriculum utilized to build upon what you already know. Janie has a BA and 2 Master degrees in teaching.
- You get more time on task with one-on-one instruction. When you stay in one of the guest rooms, you save money you would have spent on hotel and food. You have 24-7 access to the doll studio and learning library to get the most time learning.
- You will have hands-on experience learning about 100 years of dolls 1860-1960. Your instruction will cover china dolls, paper mache dolls, German and French ball jointed and leather body dolls, American composition dolls and the vintage hard plastic and vinyl dolls. You will learn how the dolls were manufactured, how to restore them correctly, eye repair, wig restoration, repainting for invisible restoration, hard plastic repainting, removing blemishes correctly, and cloth body fabrication.
- The second half of doll repair is appropriate doll clothing styles and fabrics used for doll clothes. You will fabricate a pair of authentic oilcloth shoes and learn about doll underwear.
- Customer relations, business practices and web design will be to start you off on the right foot to attracting a steady supply of customers.
- Your education is never over! You have a support system to help you over the bumps in a doll business that don’t seem quite so clear once you start doing them. With as many different kinds of dolls that there are, you are bound to come in contact with problems you have not learned about before. Janie is available as a mentor to help you.
If you would like to learn doll repair or doll restoration it is because you are looking for something new in your life. You want to repair your own dolls, your friends or explore a new career avenue, part time or full. Whatever the reason, you are also seeking value for what you might spend to get the training. As a teacher, I am doing this because it is REALLY important to me to pass on the art of restoring dolls the RIGHT way. You also know that you CAN NOT learn it all in a 4-day doll restoration seminar or even a two week doll restoration seminar. With so many different kinds of dolls, there are going to be times that you just don’t know what to do. It should be important to you to have a mentor, a resource to come back to after the class is over, which most schools or classes do not offer. While you are at a seminar would you like to be able to work any time, day or night or is it important to you to pay for a hotel and food and be able to quit at 5 p.m.? If you want to have an authentic, intense learning experience, walk away with a bag of tools and resources to work at home, then consider a seminar with Antique Child Doll Restoration
The long and short of it . . . . Pick the Seminar that fits your needs!
Both shorter sessions and a FULL career training curriculum of 14 days are available to learn all aspects of doll repair!! Certificated for Professional Doll Restoration through Morgan’s Collectibles (JoAnn Morgan), as well as extensive experience in doll repair and an educational Masters degree. I am fully prepared to facilitate the comprehensive program needed for success in doll repair and restoration.
Doll repair classes are offered several times a year to learn doll restoration in a seminar setting. Learn doll hospital education in a training environment designed for individualized attention and come away with the tools you need for success in doll repair and doll restoration.
Can’t get away for 14 days? Try a 5-day seminar in Composition/Hard Plastic Seminar OR Bisque/China Doll Seminar. If you discover you want more and would like to take the full course in doll repair and restoration, you are eligible to receive a 20% discount ($800)! !
To learn doll repair, restoration and career skills, seminars are an excellent opportunity to learn about professional, museum quality doll restoration, repair and period doll clothing.
Learn doll repair and restoration –
a lifetime career!!
Now Available is a 14-day training course so you can learn doll repair which will teach you all you need to know to operate a full service doll hospital. This LABOR INTENSIVE, HANDS-ON CAREER TRAINING will require you to bring dolls that you will fully restore in class. With so much to learn, students will often work long hours to complete the entire course. You can not learn the skills like invisible bisque repair, or composition repair, by listening to a lecture!
Seminars are HANDS-ON in which students will bring dolls and restore them while in class. Teaching doll restoration will cover many aspects of doll repair from simple restringing and proper cleaning procedures, to complete restoration, including airbrushing techniques. In addition, students will take home essential equipment to continue doing restoration correctly at home. Students will learn how to:
- Do invisible bisque and china repair, including rebuilding shoulder plates and fill in missing pieces.
- Fully restore composition dolls, from just repairing cracks to completely stripping them to bare composition
- Completely restore vinyl and hard plastic dolls Restring dolls
- Eyes – setting sleep & stationary eyes to fabricating rocker assemblies to iris transplants for crazed eyes.
- How to clean dolls without damaging them.
- Repair leather bodies. Mend cloth bodies.
- Add colors to cheeks.
- Minimize crazing with craze control
- Rebuild fingers, toes and other parts including entire feet
- Restore bodies from cloth, leather, wood, paper maché, tin and composition.
- How to make, clean and restore wigs and clothing.
- Colors selection – appropriate colors for antique dolls.
- Business ethics, advertising, customer care, process and procedure of doing bid approvals for restoration/repairs, record keeping, billing and receiving payment.
Come & Discover the Best in Doll Repair & Restoration . . .
- Teacher has several advanced teaching degrees (BA Secondary Ed., MA Curriculum, MA Administration)
- Curriculum designed for individual learning styles (hands-on, in-house library, extended learning time)
- Students will receive equipment to get started right, including a 2 phase Badger airbrush ($500 worth of equipment & resources)
- Food or lodging included as a courtesy (a savings of $1500-$2000 if you had to stay in a hotel or eat at a restaurant)
Payment Plans for doll repair classes! Building and training for a new career is an investment. Not having the funds is a struggle for some so why make that hard too? Plan for your future by paying on an installment plan. A deposit is required for all seminars to book the time in advance and allow time to purchase supplies. It also shows your commitment to your future in learning doll repair and restoration. The full seminar of 14 days is $4800 (deposit $500), 5 day seminars $1775 (deposit $400) and 2 day seminar $525 (deposit $100). One day seminars are due with a per-registry. At all seminars food and beverages are provided. The remaining balance for any seminar can be spread out as far as 6 months making it very affordable for nearly everyone. Billing can be done with check, money order or credit card.
|Please indicate Seminar Date|
Hard Plastic &